About the Exhibition and Workshop
This exhibition and workshop, in collaboration with Jordan Craft Center ALAYDI, will give adults and children the opportunity to view and participate in the different techniques of Bedouin weaving and textile finishings. The exhibition includes a tent and its furnishings, household items, and camel trappings with explanations on the different tribal markings and their use as woven designs. Workshops throughout will give adults and children the opportunity to participate in the different techniques of Bedouin weaving and textile finishings. Opening 7 October, 6 pm.
- Sunday 8 October: Talk/panel discussion at 6 pm
- Monday 9 October: Workshop "Dyeing with Natural Dyes" - for adults; fee: 25 JOD, at 12 pm
- Tuesday 10 October: Workshop "Weave Your Own Bedouin Belt" - for adults; fee: 15 JOD, at 12 pm
- Wednesday 11 October: Workshop "Tassel Making and Textile Finishings" - for adults; fee: 15 JOD, at 12 pm
- Thursday 12 October: Workshop "Weave Your Own Bedouin Belt" - for children; fee: 15 JOD, at 4 pm
About Tiraz: Widad Kawar Home for Arab Dress
Tiraz is home to the largest existing collection of Jordanian and Palestinian traditional costumes. Over a period of 50 years, with pieces from the 19th and 20th centuries, the collection has grown to include over 2,000 items of costumes, weavings, home utensils and jewelry. This collection stemmed from a passion to preserve a disappearing heritage, whether due to occupation or rapid modernization and urbanization. Tiraz aims to shed light on the vibrant Jordanian, Palestinian and neighboring Arab countries’ rich cultural heritage and living traditions. Along with the museum’s permanent exhibition, the museum is hosting several temporary exhibitions.
- Address: 19 Riyadh Al Mufleh Street, Jabal Amman
- Opening Hours: Sun, Tue - Thu 11:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sat 11:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Telephone: 06 592 7531
- Website: tirazcentre.org
- Facebook: Tiraz : Widad Kawar Home for Arab Dress